The use of underground thermal gradients as technique for soil radon mitigation
Diffusion coefficients of radon through minerals and rocks are characterised by Arrhenius linear plots, i.e., increasing with temperature. It has been observed, for example, that rocks with a mild heating (<100°C) translate into a radon release that can be enhanced 100–1,000 times than the normal release at STP (Standard Temperature Pressure (STP). Therefore, it is reasonable to think that if the soil is deliberately heated creating a thermal gradient, it could be possible, at least from a theoretical point of view, to thermally pump radon from soil because the radon atoms will escape preferentially from cold regions (low diffusion coefficient) towards hot regions (high diffusion coefficients) if a radon sink is located. In this short note, this approach for soil radon removal is investigated.
- American Cancer Society. 2015. About Cancer of Unknown Primary . cancer.org | 1.800.227.2345.
- Angell WJ. Indoor radon prevention and mitigation. In: Nriagu J, ed. Encyclopedia of environmental health. 2nd ed. Ámsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier, 2011; p. 643–51.
- A citizen’s guide to radon: The guide to protecting yourself and your family from radon. Washington, DC: EPA; 2012. Available from: www.epa.gov/radon [cited 2016]
- Teng TL. Some recent studies on groundwater radon content as an earthquake precursors. J Gephys Res 1980; 85: 3089–99.
- Del Pezzo E, Gasparini P, Mantovani MSM, Martini M, Gomes YT, Capaldi G, et al. A case of correlation between Rn anomalies and seismic activity on a volcano (Vulcano Island, Southern Tirrhenian Sea). Geophys Res Lett 1984; 8: 962–5.
- Chirkov AM. Radon as a possible criterion for predicting eruption as observed as Karymsky Volcano. Bull Volcanol 1975; 37: 126–31.
- Gasparini P, Mantovani MSN, Ribeiro FB. Temperature dependence of radon difussion from some rocks and minerals. Bolletino Di Geofisica Ed Applicata 1984; XXVI: 101–2.
- Phong Thu HN, Van Thang N, Hao LC (May 2020). The effects of some soil characteristics on radon emanation and diffusion. J Environ Radioact 2020; 216: 106189.
- Arias F, De Las Heras S. (April 12, 2021). Thermal soil radon mitigation. ASME J Nucl Rad Sci. doi: 10.1115/1.4050832.